Bottle Gourd barfi is a dessert similar to bottle gourd halwa. Shredded bottle gourd, milk solids, and sugar are cooked to form a dough, then set into barfis.
Bottle gourd is full of nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Iron, Folate, Magnesium, and Potassium. It is also low in saturated fats and is light on the stomach. Hence, it can be consumed during fasts.
So, this dessert is a very healthy and nutritious option if you have a sweet tooth.
- Bottle Gourd – 1 kg
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar –3/4 cup
- Khoya – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp for greasing the tray
- Cardamom and nuts as per choice
Serve – 15 pieces
- Wash, peel, and grate the bottle gourd (Remove the middle portion, if the seeds are big) (use thin bottle gourd)
- Put the grated bottle gourd with 500 ml milk in a thick-bottomed pan, cover, and cook on medium heat
- Once the bottle gourd is cooked, add sugar and let it cook in the open pan on medium heat till all the milk and water evaporates
- Now add khoya, mix well (grate the khoya, it will be easier to mix it with the bottle gourd)
- Keep cooking and stirring till the mixture solidifies, starts to leave side (keep a close eye at this stage, the mixture can burn or stick to the pan)
- Add ghee, cardamom powder, nuts and mix well
- Set in a greased tray