Pumpkin barfi is similar to bottle gourd barfi. It is made from chopped pumpkin, milk solids and sugar. It can be consumed during fast.
- Pumpkin – 1 kg
- Sugar –1 cup
- Khoya – 1 + 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp for greasing the tray
- Cardamom and nuts as per choice
Serve – 18 pieces
- Wash the pumpkin and remove the seed portion
- Peel the pumpkin and then cut into small pieces using a knife or chop in a chopper
- Put the chopped pumpkin in a thick bottomed pan with little ghee on a medium heat
- Cover and cook till the pumpkin is cooked, it may take 15-20 mins
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, let it cook in the open pan on medium heat till all the milk and water evaporates, keep stirring intermittently and scraping the sides
- Now add sugar and stir well
- The sugar will melt and again you need to cook to till the water evaporates
- Now add khoya, mix well (grate the khoya, it will mixed well)
- Keep cooking and stirring, till the mixture solidifies, starts to leave side (keep a close eye at this stage, the mixture can burn or stick to the pan)
- Now add ghee and roast a bit to get a little shine in the mixture
- To check, take some mixture in hand and try to make a ball, if it forms a small ball, it is ready to set.
- Add cardamom powder and nuts
- Put the mixture in a greased tray and let it set
Sustainable cooking – Save the seeds and dry them in the sun. Peeled dried seeds can be used as a garnish.