In the introduction section, I had mentioned that Barfis & More is not just about desserts, but we will also be talking about savoury dishes. So, here is my first savoury post on the blog.
Makki ki roti (maize flour bread) and sarson ka saag (mustard leaves) is a popular winter season combo in India. Currently, fresh green peas and carrots are also available in abundance in the market. So inspired by these winter vegetables and maize flour, I made these maize flour dhoklas. These steamed discs, full of winter flavours can make a healthy and delicious snack or a side dish.
Please do leave a comment if you happen to try my recipe.
- Maize Flour – 1/2 cup
- Cooked Green Peas, crushed – 1/4 cup
- Grated Carrot – 1/4 cup
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As per taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Soda bi-carb – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chilies – 2-3 , silted lengthwise
- Mix maize flour, green peas, carrots, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice, soda bi-carb in a bowl with the help of little water and make a soft dough
- Divide the dough into eight equal parts and roll them into smooth balls and press these balls into a disc and make a hole in the center with the help of your index finger
- Place these discs into a steamer and steam for 15 mins
- In a pan, heat oil, put black mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies and sesame seeds, and let it crackle for few minutes
- Place the steamed discs in this pan and toss them with the seasoning
- Relish these maize flour dhoklas with green coriander chutney
Serves – 8