Over 6-8 overripe bananas were lying in the pantry. Previously, I made the regular Chilas (Indian crepes) and Pooris (similar to Mangalorean buns) with them. So, I was looking for some new ideas to use the bananas. Since I did not have a deep bread mould, I decided to make this braided bread. To my surprise, it turned terrific on the first attempt.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 banana – overripe and mashed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp flax seeds powder mixed in 3 tbsp water (egg replacer)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whey/curd
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp cinnamon powder
- oil for greasing the tray
- Mix banana, flour, baking powder, the flax-seeds mixture, butter
- Now with little whey, form a soft dough
- Leave it overnight to ferment in a warm place
- In the morning, kneed the dough with some flour and form a roll. Cut into three equal portions lengthwise.
- Braid them and for a circle. Place the braided dough in a baking tray and leave for another hour before baking.
- Before baking, spread some milk and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 mins at 170 degrees