Pearl Millet/Bajra flour is rich in nutrients and is also gluten free. Flat breads or Indian Rotis can be made out of this flour to add variety to your lunch menu. I have mixed fenugreek leaves to give flavour to the rotis. Serve these rotis with a vegan dip made of cauliflower, potatoes and carrots.
- Bajra Flour – 3/4 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Gram flour/Besan – 1 tbsp
- Chopped fenugreek leaves – 1/4 cup
- Potato – 1 small
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As per taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Clarified butter/ Ghee – 1 tbsp
Makes – 10 rotis
- Potato – 2, small
- Cauliflower – 5-6 florets
- Carrot – 1, medium
- Salt – as per taste
- Oregano – as per taste
- Chili flakes – as per taste
Bajra fenugreek flat breads
- Heat the oil in a pan and add chopped potato, fenugreek leaves, salt, chili powder and turmeric power.
- Cover and cook till the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Let this mixture cool down completely.
- Now, mix all the flours together – bajra flour, whole wheat flour, gram flour. Add the cooked fenugreek potato mixture in the flour mixture and make a dough with the help of warm water.
- Very little water is required.
- Let the dough rest for 5 mins, before you make the rotis.
- Roll the rotis one by one and bake them on the gas.
- Put a tsp of clarified butter on each roti.
- Wash the vegetables
- Peel the potatoes and carrot
- Steam them in a pressure cooker
- Once the vegetables are cooled, pulse them in a mixer to make a fine paste
- Season with salt, oregano and chili flakes
Serve the flat breads hot with the vegan dip and relish them.
Whole wheat flour helps in rolling the rotis and handling the pearl millet flour is difficult. In case you want to keep them completely gluten free, roll them in between plastic sheets or wet hands.